Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nameless Painting

Sometimes the hardest part of a painting is it's name.  In this case, I really don't know what it is and so it makes it harder to come up with a title.  I know that's stupid, but it is what it is. I chose to paint this scene because of the strong values I found in my old photo source. It had such an interesting design pattern.  I really liked the old peeling paint on the device in the foreground.  The challenge was to come up with a textural feeling that was believable.  I used a little salt, sprayed some paint over patterns for the background, and used paints that leave a good granulation like Lunar Earth by Daniel Smith.  The one disappointment was that I did not use Arches Rough, because it really helps when trying to paint lots of texture into a painting like this one.  That said, I'm happy with the result.  If anyone has an idea of what the machinery is I'd like to  know.

No comments:

Post a Comment