Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter

view from our deck courtesy of our friend Jan

I'm still trying to get this thing going. With the help of my nephew, Matt Curry, I think I'm there.   My painting adventures this week included almost finishing 'Take a Seat' and struggling with two abstracts, one of which was sorely critiqued by my Thurzday Painterz friends.  I still like it but can't figure out how to finish it.  My problem was going into dark values too soon.  Now I have to go back and take out some color, always risky.  I read an excellent article in Watercolor Artist by John Salminen, reviewing Chinese artists work shown in the Chinese International Watercolor Exhibition last year.  The paintings are beautiful and remind me to slow down and consider every element of design, every day if I ever hope to paint something as beautiful as those artists have.  That's what's wrong with the 'problem' painting, charging in too fast without enough consideration of the details.   Finally, I did enter the California Watercolor Association's 42nd national Exhibition.  I took a risk and entered 3 pieces of my current series from one still life.  I had a hard time deciding what to enter but finally decided to go out on a limb and enter the edgier more risky pieces.  I hope one will catch the jurors eye.  Happy Easter

No comments:

Post a Comment